Search This Blog

Tuesday 25 June 2013

Illuminati by Steve Jackson Games review

I picked up the game Illuminati a long time ago. I have always loved X-files and reading conspiracy theories so I thought this was an awesome find.

In Illuminati you pick a core illuminati group with it’s own special agenda to win the game. After that it’s a frantic competition to control special groups like the two headed Anti-Nuclear Activists, the CIA, the International Communist Conspiracy, Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow, Trekkies, or any of 300 groups. The in jokes for conspiracy geeks are hidden gems. If conspiracy nuttery is up your alley you will love this game.

I have to say Illuminati is a totally quirky game that is a really cool concept; however… it is such a niche game that it’s been gathering dust on my shelf ever since I picked it up. I can’t find people willing to play it. I have only had it off the shelf twice and have never completed a game. The problem is Illuminati is somewhat more complicated with different than usual rules. Needing to track money and take over various interest groups can be a little much. So most players eventually tune out and ask to play another game with a more familiar rules set. Still I had fun for the short period of time I got to play. Unfortunately you need to have a truly dedicated group of people with some serious off kilter sense of humour going on.

Hopefully I can break the conspiracy keeping me from finding a group willing to play a few games so I can give a better review. Until then the Illuminati can't keep me from reviewing games!

No comments:

Post a Comment