Search This Blog

Friday 11 April 2014

Battleship board game review.



My brother and I spent many an afternoon playing battleship in the basement. My parents even got us the electronic battleship. It’s still in their basement somewhere. The memory will no reset so it still has a game from the late 80s stored forever. I like to think that a piece of our childhood will live on forever and someday long after the machines have taken over they will pull up the memory. They will see my military genius and seek to clone the master of the electronic battleship.

Okay that will never happen. Battleship is a very light strategy game of guess where the ships are. Two players place their ships on a board the other player cannot see in the first part of the game. The second part of the game has the players alternately calling out coordinates as shots. If it hits a ship you call hit, if it misses you call miss. The whole point of the game is to sink the other player’s fleet.

The game actually plays very slowly and has little to do with actual naval warfare. The ships do not move, unless you are my brother then you cheat like crazy and we fight until dad gets home. The alternating blind guessing gets very tiresome after a while and then the game goes back into dust collection mode.

I do harbour a lot of nostalgia for battleship as I actually had fun playing it with my brother, especially the fighting over it. It’s a game I am willing to play only very occasionally. It just gets very dull very quickly.

I have no idea why there was a movie made after this game. I actually would prefer watching people play the game than watch that terrible movie.

To sum up Battleship is a mediocre game. I would only recommend this to those with nostalgia for the game or for parents who would like another source of conflict for their children. It will keep them busy up until they tire of the game and begin to argue over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment