Search This Blog

Thursday 17 April 2014

The new Game Room



The wife and I bought a new townhouse recently. Now that we are mostly settled we decided to set up a game room in the basement. I’m really in love with the space but we haven’t had anyone over for game night yet.

To start off we had two bookshelves in the old apartment to store our games. They are a little full so we are looking for some more. Mostly for my RPG books to go down into the game room but some of the game boxes are too large so we need somewhere to better store them.

We wanted a new table for down there and asked at John at Mission Fun and Games where to get one. He went into their storage room and brought out some table toppers. We liked the one but I was on the fence about it. He offered us a deal and when I mentioned we would need to get a table he ran back into storage to bring out a round pedestal table. Turns out some were left over from when the building was a restaurant so he threw that in for free. I couldn’t resist the deal. I think he was happier than us because it’s out of his way in the storage area.

My sister is big into Kajiji shopping and she let us know about some chairs being sold for cheap: $60 for ten. We called only to discover we had sat in those chairs at our wedding. The hotel was selling off the old chairs because they were getting new ones in their renovation. Chairs elsewhere were $60 each so now we have an old school looking room.

It all fits in because the room has an outlet and phone jack every couple of feet: 13 in total. We think it was used as a call center. There was a debate on whether we should run a 1-900 number out of there to earn back money but my wife was a little against that. I’m happy with a game room.

My mom is big into knick knacks and has bought me a few over the years. So of course I put them up in the game room. The bear and buffalo heads are from her, as are the monkey clock and the African mask. I snagged the green man from my grandparent’s cabin when they sold it. The Kit Rae dagger was a collectible I bought. The light sabres my wife’s sister and husband bought us as a wedding present will be going in there somehow.

We added in our old microwave on a stand in the basement. We will be filling the stand with snack food to make game night easier. We have a small chest freezer and a wine fridge in the basement too so that makes for a lazier snack run. I’m wanting another beer fridge for right in the room but the budget is way to tight to get that any time soon.

Finally there is a washroom in the basement. It’s a toilet and sink in the ugliest colour scheme ever. Someday we will update it. I think my wife has that renovation higher on the “to budget for” list than the beer fridge. The old owner left room deodorizing spray cans in every room of the house. I moved them all down to the basement bathroom after my brother designated it his pooping bathroom. I also threw in some bathroom reading: Dilbert and the Big Book of Being Rude.

What I really want to get is a video game cabinet for down there. I know of one local supplier called Retroactive Arcade that I keep looking at. Again the budget it not really open to that yet. Maybe if my lottery investment ever pays off.

Hopefully we can kick off a routine game night session sometime in the near future.  We actually haven't used the room yet. School and work are holding us back right now but my schedule will clear up before summer. I can work on my nerd tan down there.

No comments:

Post a Comment