Search This Blog

Wednesday 25 June 2014

R2D2 Operation Game Review


I bought my wife R2D2 Operation as a present a while ago. She’s a huge Star Wars nerd so she danced with glee. She had told me she loved Operation as a kid so I felt like it was a no brainer gift idea.

Well, no brainer is an apt term for Operation. I used to love the game as a kid too but as an adult the game isn’t as fun. The game is all about hand eye coordination and what used to be challenging for an over-excited little boy is basic and simple for an adult used to lab work.

For little kids this game is a blast and a fun way to introduce them to the idea of engineering (for the R2D2 edition) or surgery (for the original edition.) Sure much of it is bad science (water on the knee bucket) but it needs to be understandable and fun for kids. The game does require patience and hand-eye coordination so kids who get into it will definitely develop these abilities. Or else they just get used to loud noises.

I like how the R2D2 edition makes various R2 sounds instead of just a loud buzz. Everyone who picks up the game has fun testing out the sounds it makes.

All in all I don’t have a lot to say about R2D2 operation because there isn’t a lot to the game. Draw a card to figure out what you need to remove from the board. Don’t touch the sides. Claim money.

To sum up Operation is a great game for teaching kids hand-eye coordination but as an adult (or teen) the game becomes a simple time waster with little to no challenge. This game is definitely designed for children which is okay because that is who should be playing this game. Pick this up if you will have young kids around looking to play an attention grabbing game or if you are a Star Wars ubergeek (like the wife and I) Honestly if it wasn’t for our extreme geekiness and the growing horde of nieces and nephews (who I will use Operation to teach the love of gaming on) I would give this game a pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment