Search This Blog

Wednesday 30 October 2013

Munchkin Booty Review



I’m a fan of the game Munchkin, and I’m a fan of pirates. So when they came together in one little package and called it Munchkin Booty I was all over it.

Munchkin booty is fairly similar to the main game. In fact you can combine them if you would like. There are some small differences and rule add-ons that I really like. Instead of races there are accents. Each accent has a different power such as the French with their “Charm Ze Rival” ability. “Any Munchkin of the opposite sex must help ye, if asked, in exchange for first pick of the treasures” In a combined game these can be used in conjunction with races. So you can get British Orcs or Dutch Dwarves (am I the only one to giggle at the thought?)

Another difference is the addition of sharks. The simple added rule for sharks is that if a player is fighting a shark any player may add another shark to the battle from their hand. A simple rule that I really enjoy as earlier versions required a wandering monster card to add more monsters to a battle. I don’t know about other players but I never seem to have both a wandering monster card and a monster card at the same time. It’s either one or the other.

Finally ships are added in. What’s a pirate game without ships? Ships are big items that are typically found in the door deck. There are also ship enhancers which you can get to modify your ships. I was disappointed that the ships are typical historical ships. Not much humour is injected into these cards in the base game. However there are some funny ship types in the expansions.

The first expansion to Munchkin booty is Jump the Shark. I recommend getting this as the base game cards get played through rather quickly. Also the expansion seems to have more humour built into the cards. Cards like “Ship in a Bottle” “Phillips Head Shark” or “Find Nemo” add in some quirkiness to the game.

The second expansion “Fish and Ships” adds in 15 cards. For the most part it adds in some much needed sharks and ships. I found the cards in this deck to be the most useful and humerous. I highly recommend getting this supplement for this reason alone.

To sum up Munchkin Booty is a great addition to any Munchkin Players collection. Whether you add it in to other decks or play it stand alone this game is sure to please. I recommend this to players who enjoy the Munchkin game mechanic. The game does include some vague adult humour so it’s better suited for teens to adult crowd. When you do decide to pick up Munchkin booty I’d recommend grabbing the two expansions as well. The extra cards increase the variety of the game and make the game even more enjoyable.

Check back next week when I review the collectable card game I love to hate Magic the Gathering.

No comments:

Post a Comment